That's right: for the first time ever, a white guy is going travelling in South America. Read about my adventures as I travel the continent and try my best not to steal or conquer anything.

February 16, 2006

Just sorta hangin'

Not a whole lot to add, unfortunately, as these last few days have been pretty quiet. I spent most of Monday recovering from a very sociable weekend, and in a hostel on the weekend, you have no choice but to be sociable. On Tuesday I was supposed to go to Colonia del Sacramento, but that was contingent upon my travel companion's camera arriving from Australia, which it didn't. Regrettably, I didn't find out about the wayward camera until well after we were supposed to leave, so I squandered a lot of Tuesday waiting around. While I was a little annoyed about that, I have only myself to blame that I let the exact same thing happen on Wednesday. To quote one of our age's great orators: "fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me . . . you can't get fooled again."

So, Colonia del Sacramento is out, and I've made alternate plans. Today the Welshman and I are heading down to one of the shopping districts - because at these prices how can I justify not buying fashionable wares! - and then maybe to the pools with a few other people. At some point today, definitely, a trip to the Bombonera to get tickets for this Sunday's Boca Juniors game. I'm not necessarily siding with either squad (Boca or River Plate) in this very intense rivalry, but Boca was home this Sunday, so I'll be there in blue and gold. If I can't find any blue and gold, I'll at least avoid the white and red that would assure me a thorough stomping. No joke here: wear white and red to a match in Boca, get stomped. If you're lucky.

Next week is going to be Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. BA is lovely and all, and I'm enjoying getting to know the city, but settling down in a more spacious landscape right now would be quite nice. I'm going to focus on the mountains and glaciers, mostly by hiking, though I'll rent a bike now and then. That'll probably be at least a week or two, and if I don't come back from that trip with some cool pictures, then I will have failed massively as a photographer. Speaking of which, is there no one to criticize my photos? No one want to tell me what technical or compositional guidelines I've violated? Caley and Evan and Teya, I'm looking in your direction.

One last thing: for all those who suggested that I was fortunate in escaping the Canadian winter, well, you're right. But - last night was so hot that I could barely sleep. Sleeping here isn't especially easy at the best of times, with the foam mattress, tired sheets, wooden frames that are maybe an inch longer than I am, and five other snoring CO2 emitters, but toss in the kind of heat that causes me to sweat in bed, and this place becomes considerably more uncomfortable. That's part of the reason I'm heading South, actually: BA is just stinking hot right now. Enough.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

If you are just sorta hangin', then I think you should update your blog. I am anxiously awaiting more photos of clear blue sky interspersed among the witty commentary that remind me how exciting your life is compared to my dull existence. I mean, you have a dedicated following now and this commitment to your fans must not be taken lightly... Come on Dave, don't leave us "hangin"!
Your groupie,
Jen

3:25 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave here are some things to say (they are in your email tooo)

"Mucho Gusto": Nice to meet you
"Las Chicas de Argentina es moy buenita": The argentine girls are very pretty "Queres bialar?": Would you like to dance?.... "Queres una cervesa?": Would you like a beer?

Cheers from Downunder,
Paul

11:21 p.m.

 
Blogger Dave Peer said...

Thanks Paul, that was pretty good. Of course, the women of Argentina are plural, so that would be "chicas de Argentina son muy bonitas", and I'll ask them to "bailar", not "bialar", as I don't want to risking doing whatever bialaring is. But seriously, love the list. Gratias.

And my thanks to Jay for coming out of the lurker closet, although I'll still always think of you as a creepy guy.

2:54 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of us just enjoy a good lurk now and then. It is certainly more entertaining then the leafs have been lately.

Evan

3:43 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home