That's right: for the first time ever, a white guy is going travelling in South America. Read about my adventures as I travel the continent and try my best not to steal or conquer anything.

February 21, 2006

By popular demand?

Well, I've been called out by my sister - totally fair given that I called her out on her blog - so I guess that demands a post of some sort. I was trying to avoid the obvious point that this blog would be better titled "Aborted Attempts to Do Interesting Things" (that's the AAtDIT, or in honour of the same sister, the UNAAtDIT*), because that's been my life of late. There was, of course, my aborted attempt to hit up Colonia del Sacramento, but more recently my aborted attempt to go see the Boca Juniors. Sold out, you see.

I had a decent enough afternoon as a result - hanging out with the fellow travellers with whom I had arranged to see the game - but still, heading to the Bombonera would have been cool. And at the very least, one interesting thing that is not going to end up as an aborted attempt is my trip to Patagonia, as it's going down in two days. Highlights will include the following:

  • Tierra del Fuego: that means "Land of Fire". End of the continent. Wildlife, extreme geography, and temperatures that will allow me to get a decent night's sleep.
  • Perito Moreno: a big glacier. The appeal pretty much speaks for itself. I'm saying hello to the glacier on the behalf of anyone who wishes to say hello, and that's a lot, because usually I'm not one of those "oh by the way [acquaintance 1], [acquaintance 2] says hello" kinda guys.
  • Peninsula Valdés: a cool peninsula between two bays with some odd wildlife. Highlights include killer whales rushing baby sea lions at 50 km/h.
So that's what's up, and the blog will likely be put on hold for a while, until I return rested, cooled, and with totally mind-blowing pictures. Having said that, I'd love for the wicked comments-leaving to continue. Thus far through the comments I've learned about alfajores and the fine art of picking up Argentine babes with poor spelling. Muchas gratias Paul. I'll be back in about two weeks or so; my best to everyone in the meantime. Until then, a few random shots:

Artigas looks forward to decades of political mismanagement while porteños play football in the background.



A pretty building in Palermo.



The closing minutes of the Boca game. San Lorenzo had just put the nail in Boca's coffin with a second goal, and Dyfan and I had to work really hard to cover up our laughter, because the announcer was doing the classic "gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!", [big breath], "gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!"


*It exists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home